Monday, July 1, 2013

Kenley's Playlist #8

Iris

So, in the 90's, I wore converse shoes and combat boots and I classified myself as an "Alternative Music" listener.  This included The Foo Fighters, Beck, Alanis Morrisette, Matchbox 20, and many others.   The Goo-Goo Dolls' Iris was my absolute favorite song from 1998.   This could be because of the movie City of Angels, which had the most unfair ending of all time, but still stirred the sinews of my cold, angst-ridden heart.   The song speaks of love and loss - and yearning.   Of wanting something you can't have and of being misunderstood.  In 1998, this embodied everything I was - or thought I was.  I loved it.  I also loved the floppy haired broodiness of John Rzeznik.  (who, sadly, did not age well)

Today, I still love this song.  It makes me think of a time when I was young and still had so many years ahead of me before my world would come crashing down.  And it makes me think of my little girl, who is the "closest to heaven I'll ever be."

  

No comments:

Post a Comment